Monday, December 1, 2014

Bill Maher Wishes You Merry Thankshallowismas

Christmas Ornament This Year Give Kindness
This year give kindness.
by Catherine Giordano

News Flash: Bill Maher may be an atheist, but he likes Christmas. On RealTime with Bill Maher, episode 337 which aired on November 21, 2014, Maher said “I kinda like the story about the virgin who has a little god-baby in the barn. As a fable, it is kinda cute.” I feel the same. I intend to have a merry secular Chistmas.  Or maybe a merry Thankshallowwismas.  

Maher proposed that we have just one end-of- the- year holiday and call it Thankshallowismas.  “The whole family gets together in costume and gives thanks for a big meal of turkey and candy and then gathers around a tree decorated with toilet paper to exchange presents and tell ghost carols.”   

Maher noted that when the subject of Christmas comes up, “So many people roll their eyes and say ‘I hate Christmas.’” There are even books and movies named How to Survive Christmas, Christmas Sucks, Skipping Christmas, Surviving Christmas. 

Maher wants to save Christmas. He wants to make the season joyous once again. 

Maher wants to save Christmas by reducing the stress many people feel around the holiday—especially the stress of gift-giving.  In New Rules, he named the segment about Christmas “Present Tense.” He said, “If we really want to get rid of the Christmas stress, we have to get rid of the gift-giving. Spending money you don’t have to give people you don’t like sutff they don’t want. That’s gotta stop. All that anxiety of what to get, what to spend, and if I get something for this one do I have to get something for that one.“  

I have decided not to give stuff. Instead I will give kindness. I suggest everyone give kindness. To get it started, I wrote an article about kindness. Make My Day: Quotes on Kindness from Famous People.  My article inspired me to do something kind for everyone I know or encounter. (It’s my New Year’s Resolution starting on December 1.) I hope it will inspire you also. (In addition to the quotes, I include suggestions for kind words and acts.) 

Here’s the YouTtube video of the complete segment on New Rules.
 
 
 
Kindness is the best gift. Unless, of course, you were thinking of using one of my links to purchase a gift from amazon.com in which case I urge you to give that gift. 
 

Read the full review and recap of episode 337, November  11/21/14 here: Tis the Season to Be Stupid
 
Bill Maher’s Guests:  #337, November 21, 2014
 
John Cleese: Actor, comedian, film producer and author of several books. His latest book is Say Anyway… 
 

Seth Rogen: Actor, comedian. His most recent movie is The Neighbors. 

Christia Freeland: Journalist, politician, author of Plutocrats: The Rise of the New Global Super-Rich and the Fall of Everyone Else
 

Chris Mathews: Host of MSNBC’s Hardball with Chris Mathews and author of several books.  His most recent book is Tip and the Gipper: When Politics Worked 
 

Roland Martin: Journalist, host of TV One News and author of Speak Brother: A Black Man’s View of America

No comments:

Post a Comment